Recipe and Photography by Libby Bloom @AdventureBlooms
Spicy Chicken Green Chile Enchiladas
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalepeño minced, seeds and veins removed or retain the seeds for extra heat
- 1 pound cooked chicken shredded
- 1 16 ounce package Casa Alvarez Chile Verde Con Pork or Con Veggie divided
- 28 ounces Canned or homemade Enchilada sauce divided
- ¼ cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional, add more for extra heat
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 18-20 corn tortillas
- ½ cup Cotija cheese
- ½ cup queso fresco or mozzarella
- Garnish with green onions, avocado, cilantro, lime
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, sauté until tender, about 5-8 minutes. Add garlic and jalepeño, sauté until fragrant, about one minute. Add shredded chicken, 1 cup green chile, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, cilantro, cumin, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Add spinach and stir until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
In a medium saucepan, heat remaining enchilada sauce, add in 1 cup Casa Alvarez Chile Verde Con Pork and cook until thoroughly heated.
Set tortillas on a plate and warm in the microwave. Alternatively, warm them in the oven.
Spread 1/2 cup of warm enchilada sauce over the bottom of a 9- x 13- inch baking pan.
Place a spoonful of chicken mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla, roll up tortillas and set each tortilla in the pan, seam side down.
Pour remaining Casa Alvarez Chile Verde Con Pork/enchilada sauce over tortillas, top with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Top with cilantro, green onions, avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy!
For extra flavor, cook chicken breasts in a skillet over medium heat with 1/2 cup Casa Alvarez Chile Verde Con Pork or Con Veggie for extra flavor.